This probably doesn’t sound so fun, but cleaning your sex toys regularly is important if you’re going to hang onto them for any length of time. Proper care ensures toys that stay in good condition and naughty bits that stay in good health. So, for the love of all that’s holy, clean your toys!
Out of the Packaging
As soon as you receive a new sex toy, clean it. Use a mild anti-bacterial soap and warm water to clean off any chemicals that may still be lingering from the manufacturing process. Or, if the toy has a battery pack, avoid submerging it and use a sex toy cleaner.
The Material Matters
What the sex toy is made out of will directly affect how you go about cleaning it. Most of the time, soap and water will do, but let’s take a look at each of the materials and get specific for a minute anyway.
- Silicone sex toys. Antibacterial soap and water will do, as will a toy cleaner. Silicone is a high quality material, so you just need to let it air dry before tucking it away in a storage pouch or drawer.
- Jelly sex toys. Soap and water or a sex toy cleaner will do the trick. Just keep in mind that this material is porous and can never be disinfected. Never share these toys!
- Metal sex toys. Good ol’ soap and water, rubbing alcohol, or a universal toy cleaner gets the job done. Want to disinfect your aluminum, titanium or *gasp* gold, dildo? You can boil it. This only applies to dildos, okay, not vibes. Dry it off with a soft cloth before storing.
- Plastic sex toys. This non-porous material is easy to clean. Use soap and water, a toy cleaner, or rubbing alcohol then let it air dry before storing.
Sharing Isn’t Caring
It’s best not to share porous sex toys unless you cover them up with a condom during each and every use.
Cleaning your sex toys might not sound like fun, but making this little bit of extra effort ensures you’ll be having good clean fun for the foreseeable future.
Latest posts by Kim Airs (see all)
- 4 Sex Toy Shows: ANME, XBIZ, SHE and AVN - January 6, 2015
- FOUR Sex Toy Shows this month: ANME, XBIZ, SHE and AEE! - January 6, 2015
- Welcome 2015! My Sexy New Year’s Resolutions - January 2, 2015